Rapido HO Scale 3800 cu. ft. Covered Hopper, PETX Canpotex, Single Car
Following the well-received initial launch, Rapido Trains Inc. is proud to announce its second release of the iconic 3800 cu.ft. Cylindrical Hopper in HO scale.
Once again Rapido aims to rid layouts and displays of incorrect 4550 cu.ft. covered hopper car models decorated to represent this true Canuck classic! And best of all, not only are we introducing new Trough-hatches for the rooftops, but we’ve also redesigned how the carbody is produced to bring you an even better, museum-quality product.
The prototype cars were designed for carrying bulk commodities like powdered minerals and industrial chemicals, including cement and potash. They are 100-tons in capacity with four hopper compartments totaling 3800-3850 cubic feet and are fitted with either round or trough hatches. Examples were built by all three of the major car builders in Canada – Marine Industries, Hawker-Siddeley and National Steel Car – and they have traveled to every corner of Canada and the contiguous United States.
Apart from the main carriers such as Canadian National and Canadian Pacific – which together acquired over 4,500 cars between 1965 and 1975 – close to a thousand cars were built for leasing companies, including North American Car Canada (NCHX), Canpotex (PTEX) and Procor (UNPX), while CGLX, NAHX, and more recently WREX, later acquired fleets secondhand. Many of these are still in service today.
The Rapido model has been scaled from manufacturer drawings and will include alternative parts allowing us to represent the majority of differences between the Marine Industries (MIL) and National Steel Car (NSC) constructed cars.
- Redesigned carbody assembly
- Round-hatch or NEW Trough-hatch design
- Correct Dofasco S-2 100-ton trucks
- Two body variations with 6- or 11-side panels
- Three brake equipment variations and optional additional air reservoir on NSC cars (if applicable)
- Etched running boards and brake changeover platform
- Factory-installed air pipes and coupler cut levers
- Finely moulded plastic walkway supports (Marine Industries and NSC versions) and end cages
- Full separate air piping and brake equipment details
- Metal Macdonald-Cartier knuckle couplers are fitted as standard
- Undecorated kits will build either a trough-hatch or round-hatch car